Saw this floating around and, eh. Why not!
1) How many works do you have on AO3?
2) What’s your total AO3 word count?
681,832 which… wow. Actually. How did that happen?
3) How many fandoms have you written for and what are they?
Not counting the things I’ve only ever “crossed into,” we’ve got Pacific Rim, Supernatural, Gravity Falls, Until Dawn, the MCU (specifically Captain America), Overwatch, and Venom.
4) What are your top 5 fics by kudos?
- Then I am, yes, the Bible that teaches you of freedom.
- Love and Monsters
- Ten Years, Two Weeks
- Till Human Voices Wake Us
- “Return to Mt. Washington”
5) Do you respond to comments, why or why not?
On new fics/chapters I try and respond to everyone, older stuff I’m less reliable on, though will usually still respond if people ask a direct question.
The one thing I will always respond to are “I’m so sad this fic is orphaned!” comments, of which I usually get one or two a year.
6) What’s the fic you’ve written with the angstiest ending?
I don’t normally write angst, so ironically this is probably the otherwise-crackfic Ten Forward, Two Back, although the angst is mostly implied because of the age of the POV character.
“Orange County Blues” would be a strong runner-up, mostly because it’s UST set “pre-game” and, uh. Well. About that…
Also actually now that I’m thinking about it, “Bizarre Love Triangle” was going to have had a bittersweet ending if I’d ever finished it, so… possibly? Ditto Cruel Angels, coming in with another ambiguous/bittersweet ending… I’m starting to see a trend here.
7) What’s the fic you’ve written with the happiest ending?
I suppose it depends on what you mean by “happy,” since most of my fics have “happy” endings of one degree or another (the pairing gets together! the B plot is resolved!). But personally, to me “happy” means “hopeful,” in which case it’s hands-down Final Strain.
8) Do you write crossovers? If so what is the craziest one you’ve written?
I don’t usually write crossovers, but when I do they’re the peak Crack Treated Seriously that is Newt Inherits a Bar.
9) Have you ever received hate on a fic?
Not directly on a fic, but I’ve definitely had people bitching about me on anon memes, and I’ve even had a non-zero number of hatefics in my day!
10) Do you write smut? If so what kind?
11) Have you ever had a fic stolen?
Not recently, and not fanfic.
12) Have you ever had a fic translated?
Yes! Quite a few over the years, and in fact I think there are probably some old fics of mine out there that only exist as translated versions.
13) Have you ever co-written a fic before?
Not for a long time, and not fanfic.
14) What’s your all time favorite ship?
Ironically, something I don’t write fic for, in a fandom I’m not “in.” Go figure.
15) What’s a WIP that you want to finish but don’t think you ever will?
I really wish alternate universe orphan would appear and hand me the last few fics in Cruel Angels, just to close it off. But, alas…
16) What are your writing strengths?
Honestly mostly just that I do it. That I can just sit down and bang out a reasonably coherent story in 10-20k chunks. It was the hardest skill to learn; everything else is easy in comparison.
17) What are your writing weaknesses?
Pacing, definitely, which is really an editing issue. I don’t tend to do structural editing on fics (and, uh, sometimes my SPAG isn’t great either), which is an intentional choice; the point of fanfic for me is just… getting it out there, rather than obsessing over polishing it to oblivion.
18) What are your thoughts on writing dialogue in other languages in a fic?
I’ve done it in the past, and am basically neutral on it. It’s just another tool in the writing toolbox, and it’s useful to pull out to produce a certain effect. Where I don’t particularly like it is when it’s used for dialogue that the audience is supposed to seamlessly read, and would be far better served by just been written as “she said, in Russian” or whatever. Particularly when people do that “mouseover for translation” thing, which… uh. Is not super-helpful when reading on a phone, y’know?
19) What was the first fandom you wrote for?
This is going to show my age, but the videogame Worms. Thankfully, the internet didn’t really exist at the time, so the world never got to see pre-teen orphan’s, ahem. “Masterpieces.”
20) What’s your favorite fic you’ve written?
Ironically, something I’ve never officially posted, “Slouching Towards Gomorrah.” It’s just so very… meta.